DeWitz Wins Triple, 110 Hurdles & High Jump at SCIACs

DeWitz Wins Triple, 110 Hurdles & High Jump at SCIACs

CLAREMONTLaShauna Porter and Austin DeWitz stole the show on Day 2 of the SCIAC Championships, winning multiple events to lead the Oxy track and field teams at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.

The Oxy women finished third overall at the meet and will be third in the conference. The Oxy men were fourth and will finish fourth. 75 percent of the SCIAC standing is determined at the SCIAC Championship with the other 25 percent taking place during the multi-duals throughout the season.

Porter, a former 200m All-American, was the only woman under 25 seconds in the 200m at 24.75 and ran 12.03 in the 100m for a pair of SCIAC Championships. She also ran the third leg on Oxy's third-place 4x100m relay team.

"She was incredible today with some really tough performances," Oxy head coach Rob Bartlett said of Porter, who has been battling illness. "She had a little adversity and still ran great races which shows why she's the best sprinter in the conference."

Sabrina Degnan, who was the headliner on Day 1 with SCIAC Championships in the hammer and javelin, added to her list of accomplishments with a second-place finish in the shot put with a best of 38-08.75 and a fifth-place finish in the discus with a personal record in a high-performing field. She finished the meet with an incredible 32 total points.

Allison Kilday placed third in the 400m hurdles with a time of 62.78, rounding out the women's highlights on Saturday.

For the Oxy men, All-American high jumper Austin DeWitz won his third consecutive SCIAC Championship in the high jump, won the triple jump with a leap of 46-06.25, and won the 110m hurdles at 15.35 for a huge personal record and his third SCIAC Championship of the day.

"It's just remarkable what a competitor he is," Bartlett said. "He always rises to the occasion and performs his best at the most important moments. He should be as proud of himself as we are of him."

Tyler Webb, who has been ranked in the top 10 nationally this year in the 100m, finished second in the event with a seasonal best of 10.69, but lost to SCIAC meet record holder Luke Bohlinger of Redlands who ran 10.62.

Andrew McCall also did well for the Oxy men, placing third in the 400m hurdles at 54.51.

Follow Oxy Athletics on Twitter
Sign Up for Newsletters
Watch on Youtube
Follow us on Instagram