Women's Track Goes 2-1 at SCIAC Dual-Meet No. 2

Women's Track Goes 2-1 at SCIAC Dual-Meet No. 2

LOS ANGELES — Onyekachi Nwabueze took first in the 200 meters, Kimberly Orpinela won the hammer and Chloe Hoeber made Oxy's all-time top 10 high jump list, leading the Occidental women's track and field team at their second SCIAC multi-dual meet of the season.

Team Result: Occidental defeated Caltech 83-28 and Chapman 87-47, and lost to Cal Lutheran 110-48. 

Nwabueze wasn't far off of her personal record of 25.63 in the 200, crossing the finish line in 25.77. The sophomore from San Francisco also finished second in the 100 (12.69).

Orpinela won the hammer throw with a mark of 137-5.

Hoeber cleared 5-1 in the high jump, finishing third at the meet and moving her into a tie for seventh in program history.

Oxy All-SCIAC cross country runner Mel Devoney had a pair of impressive third-place finishes at shorter distances, getting some speed work in. Devoney, who's more comfortable at distances between 5,000 and 10,000 meters, ran 2:30.31 in the 800 and 4:57.78 in the 1,500.

Grace Bender and Braelin Stockton each recorded personal records. Bender, also an All-SCIAC cross country runner, was seventh in the 1,500 (5:12.14), and Stockton improved her discuss best by nearly 10 feet. 

SCIAC Standings: Oxy improves its dual-meet record to 2-3. Dual meets account for 25 percent of a team's overall SCIAC finish in 2015. The SCIAC Championship meet on May 1-2 accounts for the other 75 percent.

Next Meet: The Tigers will compete at various Invitational events next weekend before returning to SCIAC competition for the final dual meet of the season on April 11 at Oxy.

Follow Oxy Athletics on Twitter
Sign Up for Newsletters
Watch on Youtube
Follow us on Instagram