Photo by samsphotoservices.com
LOS ANGELES — The Occidental track and field teams opened SCIAC competition with a multi-dual at Bill Henry Track and Saturday. The Tigers scored against Pomona-Pitzer and Clarremont-Mudd-Scripps, and competed against La Verne and Chapman.
The Oxy men went 1-1 with a victory over Claremont-Mudd-Scripps and a loss to Pomona-Pitzer, and the Oxy women beat Pomona-Pitzer but lost to CMS.
SCIAC Scoring: The competition counts in Oxy's dual meet record which makes up 25 percent of the overall SCIAC standing. The SCIAC Championship at the end of April determines the other 75 percent.
Race of the Day: Brody Barkan won the race of the day in the 800m, belly flopping through the finish line to out-dive Pomona-Pitzer Nicholas Vucovich and win by .06 seconds.
Kilday beat teammate and defending SCIAC champion Isabelle Dunne in the 400m hurdles and anchored the women's 4x400m relay team to victory.
Porter beat teammate Emma Yudelevitch, Oxy's top sprinter and the second fastest sprinter in SCIAC, in the 100m and 200m to take second place.
Men's Event Winners
Zach Greenleaf, pole vault 14-11
Jesse Nikora, hammer throw 146-10
Brody Barkan, 800m (1:56.26)
Men's Podium Finishes
Rio Chiba, 400m 49.61 (2nd place)
Andrew McCall, 110m hurdles 16.57 (2nd place)
Hugh Pegan, 200m 22.03 (2nd place)
Andrew McCall, 400m hurdles 56.84 (3rd place)
Brody Barkan, 1500m 3:56.67 (3rd place)
Tyler Webb, 100m 11.10 (3rd place)
Women's Event Winners
Alison Kilday, 400m hurdles 65.12
Melissa Braun, pole vault 11-05.75
Women's Podium Finishes
Sabrina Degnan, hammer throw 140-10 (2nd place)
Sabrina Degnan, discus 117-110 (2nd place)
Sabrina Degnan, shot put 35-10.5 (2nd place)
Sabrina Degnan, javelin 114-08 (3rd place)
Lena Etoka, triple jump 35-10.75 (2nd place)
LaShauna Porter, 200m 25.77 (2nd place)
LaShauna Porter, 100m 12.51 (2nd place)
Isabelle Dunne, 400m hurdles 66.47 (2nd place)
Emma Yudelevitch, 200m 25.99 (3rd place)
Emma Yudelevitch, 100m 12.60 (3rd place)
Amelia Ashley, 400m 62.78 (3rd place)
Aria Blumm, 3000m steeplechase 11:45.23 (3rd)
Roxanne Valle, 800m 2:20.86 (3rd place)
Jada Newkirk, long jump 17-01.50 (3rd place)
Morgan Crotta, pole vault 9-06.25 (3rd place)
Next Meet: The Tigers are back in action on March 10, hosting their Distance Carnival.Follow Oxy Athletics on Twitter Sign Up for Newsletters Watch on Youtube Follow us on Instagram